Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Is Listening the Best Counsel I Can Give?

Surely listening carefully is a part of many of the attributes of Jesus Christ (Preach My Gospel, pages 115-126) . Definitely charity and love, patience, humility . . .

"One way to encourage diligent learning is to listen carefully when someone asks a question or makes a comment. 'Listening is an expression of love. It often requires sacrifice. When we truly listen to others, we often give up what we want to say so they can express themselves' (Teaching, No Greater Call,‍ 66)."  (Teachings of Presidents of the Church: George Albert Smith, chapter 6, emphasis added)

This quote went to my heart. I can think of many times I am so thankful that I took the time to listen. There are also times I wish I would have paid more attention to what someone was saying to me, rather than continuing on with whatever I was doing--even if what I was doing was a good thing.  I especially want to listen to those in my own home. I want to encourage diligent learning in my home. If I selfishly ignore, or only half listen, when a family member comes to talk to me, I may miss a sacred opportunity. 

How can I better listen carefully today? Tomorrow? Every Day?

No comments: